Explore HBCU – Xavier University of Louisiana
Xavier University of Louisiana is a private, Catholic, historically Black university located in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Xavier University’s founding dates back to 1915, when Sister Katherine Drexel and the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, a Catholic order established in 1890 to serve African Americans and other racial minorities opened a school on the site originally occupied by Southern University. The institution was first a high school, then a two-year normal school after expansion in 1917, then Xavier became a four-year college in 1925 when it opened the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Two years later a College of Pharmacy was opened.
Today, Xaver is well-known for its pharmacy and premedical programs, with the College of Pharmacy being one of only two pharmacy schools in Louisiana and the producer of 15% of all Black pharmacists in the US. More than 80% of the university’s pre-med students are also reportedly accepted at various medical and dental schools throughout the nation. Additionally, while the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament still remain a presence on campus, Xavier is now governed by a Board of Trustees composed of both lay persons and religious members and clergy alike.
A core discipline of the Xavier mission and curriculum lies in the university’s mission to develop students to be life-long learners and global leaders capable of active contribution for a more just and humane society. Xavier University of Louisiana (XULA) is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and located near the heart of New Orleans in a quiet neighborhood.
Programs & Opportunities
Through the College of Arts and Sciences and College of Pharmacy, Xavier University offers the following degree type opportunities: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts, Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Theology, and Doctor of Pharmacy.
Specific degree programs entail over 60 focuses paired with Xavier University’s seamlessly integrated core curriculum that highlights the school culture and tradition for premier liberal arts education.
Through high impact learning experiences, community and school-focused engagement activities, and student-centered campus life programming, XULA students are exposed to individual and larger student-body holistic development.
Learn more about what Xavier University of Louisiana has to offer here.
Xavier University of Louisiana is committed to the contribution to global leadership and service in society by its graduates.
Some notable Xavier University of Louisiana alumni include, but are not limited to:
- Rear Admiral Stephen W. Rochon is a Writer, Speaker, Consultant, the former director of the Executive Residence, and the first White House Chief Usher who graduated from Xavier University of Louisiana with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.
- Bryant Terry is a James Beard Award-winning chef, educator, and author renowned for his food justice and sustainability activism who graduated from Xavier University of Louisiana with a Bachelor of Arts in English, French, and Political Science.
- Regina Benjamin is a physician and a former vice admiral in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps appointed by Barack Obama in 2009 who graduated from Xavier University of Louisiana with a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry.
At Xavier University of Louisiana, tuition totals remain largely dependent on the course of study pursued by students. In the College of Arts & Sciences, tuition is an estimated $11,998 per semester, in the College of Pharmacy tuition is an estimated $18,469 per semester, in the Graduate Education Program tuition is an estimated $7,096 per semester, in the Graduate Public Health Program tuition is an estimated $8,607 per semester, in the Physician Assistant Program tuition is an estimated $12,608 per semester, in the Pre-Pharmacy program tuition is an estimated $11,998 per semester, in the Speech Pathology school tuition is an estimated $10,664 per semester, and in the Graduate Health Informatics program tuition is an estimated $8,460 per semester.
For on-campus living services, room & board for freshmen & continuation students is a listed $6,529 per semester.
At XULU, the financial aid office works to eliminate financial barriers to a Xavier education—walking students through different forms and types of financial aid available, how to apply for them, how to keep aid, and ways to manage finances throughout a student’s time in college.
Xavier maintains a reputation as one of the most effective teaching institutions anywhere, offering preparation in varied fields in the undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree levels.
Learn more about Xavier University of Louisiana here.
- XULA Logo: https://www.xula.edu/news/2019/03/new-minor-development-cited-as-exemplary-neh-funded-project.html
- XULA Sign: https://uptownmessenger.com/2022/04/xavier-university-is-planning-to-open-a-medical-school-to-increase-diversity-in-the-health-professions/
- Xavier Sign: https://www.bizneworleans.com/xavier-university-of-louisiana/
- XULA Students: https://hbcuconnect.com/colleges/105/xavier-university-of-louisiana