Explore HBCU – Southern University at Shreveport
Southern University at Shreveport is a junior college in Shreveport, Louisiana.
Established as a unit of the historically black Southern University system, Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SULSA) was created by Act 42 of the ordinary session of the Louisiana Legislature in 1964. The school was subsequently designated a 2-year commuter college to serve the Shreveport-Bossier City area and the Northwest Louisiana school had an initial student body of approximately 750 students.
The school opened for instruction in September of 1967 and seven years later, the Louisiana Coordinating Council for Higher Education granted the institution six associate degree program approvals. The school also began to explore the nature of the comprehensive community college with a push toward instruction in paraprofessional and occupational educational opportunities. A consent decree was ordered in 1981 by the Federal Justice Department that led to major changes to SULSA: new administrative procedures, creation and utilization of long-range plans and programs, extension initiatives, and even the interchange of students and faculty with Bossier Parish Community College.
Today, Southern University at Shreveport features a low student to faculty ratio of 15 to 1, and remains committed to the education development of its students for individual and global empowerment.
Programs & Opportunities
Southern University at Shreveport has been voted the 3rd best two-year university in a Washington Monthly Magazine, recognized as the 6th fastest growing 2-year institution in the country, and ranked 44th among 2-year institutions graduating African American students.
Through programs offered online and at three academic centers throughout the Shreveport community, SULSA offers comprehensive programming across the following areas: six Associate of Applied Science degrees, one Associate of Arts, seven Associate of Science, and one Associate of General Studies. The school offers several concentrations offered in Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of General Studies. SULSA also offers nine Certificates of Technical Studies, three Certificates of Applied Science, one Technical Diploma, and continuing education non-credit programs for Practical Nursing and Nursing Assistantship.
Learn more about what Southern University at Shreveport has to offer here.
Southern University at Shreveport is an institution committed to supporting an ever-growing population of students and members of Louisiana and the greater community.
Some notable alumni from Southern University at Shreveport include, but are not limited to:
- Renee Coulberson, Supervisor at JPMorgan Chase, attended Southern University at Shreveport to study Business Administration and Management.
- Andrew Butler Sr., experienced Associate, Manager, Supervisor, Warehouse Leader and Healthcare Worker at Fresenius Medical Care North America studied Southern University at Shreveport to study Business Administration and Management, with a General Focus.
- Chantel Walters, experienced Security Professional with a demonstrated history of working in the security and investigations industry, earned an Associate of Arts and Sciences from Southern University at Shreveport in Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration.
For Southern University at Shreveport students, tuition and fees vary according to student classification and credit hour load. On average, a full-time load of 12 credit hours per semester totals to $2,468 for Louisiana resident students, $4,118 for non-Louisiana residents, and $4,443 students.
At SULSA, the Financial Aid Office strives to provide students with assistance throughout financial aid processes that help students meet their college expenses. Financial aid options come in a variety of forms, namely scholarships, grants, loans, and student employment.
At Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana, students become better prepared and well-equipped for degree attainment, transfer, entry into the workforce, the beginning of continuous learning, and self-improvement proceedings.
Learn more about Southern University at Shreveport here.
- SUSLA Logo: https://www.susla.edu/
- SUSLA Sign: https://www.flickr.com/photos/2cheap2keep/47554304762/
- SUSLA Students: https://www.susla.edu/page/student-life
- SUSLA Media: https://www.susla.edu/page/campus-virtual-registration-and-advisement