Explore HBCU – Southern University and A&M College
Southern University and A&M College is a public, land-grant, historically Black university located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Established by Louisiana State Legislature Act 87 in 1880, Southern University was created to serve as an institution of higher learning for students of color. With the passage of the Second Morrill Act of 1890 which allowed Southern to be designated as a land-grant institution and for the creation of an Agricultural and Mechanical Department, the school was officially renamed Southern University and Agricultural & Mechanical College.
While Southern University opened its doors in New Orleans, it was subsequently relocated years later in 1912 due to Legislative Act 118 which placed the university in rural Scotlandville, Louisiana. The school received a portion of a $50,000 national land-grant appropriation in 1914, and Southern University once again opened its doors to students in this part of Baton Rouge.
In the early stages of the school’s founding up until the early 1950s, curricula was limited to vocational and industrial arts education programs with a focus on teacher education. In 1956 the Division of Technology was established to offer baccalaureate programs that lead to non-teaching degrees in electronics and by 1956 the engineering college was established at Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge.
Southern University and A&M College is one of the three institutions comprising the Southern University System, the only historically Black university system in the nation. Additionally, the school is accredited by the Commision on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Programs & Opportunities
Southern University and A&M College is home to a variety of academic programs that award bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees through undergraduate, graduate, and online programs.
At Southern University A&M College, students are exposed to coursework that span across Southern A&M’s College of Agricultural, Family, and Consumer Sciences, College of Business, Nelson Mandela College of Government and Social Sciences, College of Humanities and Interdisciplinary Studies, College of Nursing and Allied Health, and College of Sciences and Engineering.
Learn about Southern University A&M College here.
Students from Southern University and A&M College go on to become leaders in service, teaching, research, scholarly and creative opportunities.
Some notable alumni from Southern University A&M College include, but are not limited to:
- Brittany Price, is an experienced recruiter, salesperson, and market development representative who works with specialty brands (some of which include Nastelé Waters, The Hershey Company, and Kellog) and graduated from Southern University and A&M College with a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication & Media Studies as well as a Master of Public Administration.
- Michelle McCalope, Press Secretary at the Louisiana Department of Health in the Office of Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome, graduated from Southern University and A&M College with a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication.
- Joe McCoy, is a well-established Photojournalist and News Director at WVLA-TV who graduated from Southern University A&M College with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Broadcast Journalism.
At Southern University A&M College, student full-time general costs total to $9,842 per academic year for undergraduate students and $11,222 per academic year for graduate students. For non-Louisiana residents, out of state fees add up to $7,350 for undergraduate students and $6,446 for graduate students.
The Office of Student Financial Aid administers a program designed to help students meet college expenses, and financial aid is administered in the form of grants, scholarships, employment, and loans.
With student and faculty representation from more than 20 countries, Southern University and A&M College is a melting pot for culture, service, and education. A ladder in economic and workforce development on local, state, and national levels, Southern A&M aims to provide a student-focused teaching and learning environment that creates global leadership opportunities for a diverse population.
Learn more about Southern University A&M College here.
- Southern University and A&M College Logo: https://www.gradreports.com/rankings/southern-university-and-a-m-college
- Southern University and A&M College Students: https://www.subr.edu/subhome/37
- Southern University and A&M College Graduates: https://foundation.sus.edu/southern-university-and-am-college/