Explore HBCU – Morehouse School of Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine is a private co-educational medical school in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Morehouse School of Medicine was originally founded in 1975 as a two-year Basic Sciences medical program at Morehouse College under the leadership of physician and Morehouse alum Dr. Louis Sullivan. The School of Medicine became independent in 1981, becoming accredited to award M.D. degrees shortly thereafter in 1985.
Since its conception, the MSM has continued to expand its curricula, education, and research opportunities, establishing the National Center for Primary Care (NPC) by 1997 under the leadership of Dr. Louis Sullivan—who by that point had served as the Secretary of the US Department of Health and Human Services. The Morehouse School of Medicine became the first congressionally sanctioned center to develop programs that strengthened the primary care system for health equity and sustainability.
Today, the Morehouse School of Medicine is among the nation’s leading educators of primary care physicians and has also received the title of top institution among US medical schools for social mission.
Programs & Opportunities
At the Morehouse School of Medicine, students are exposed to several academic and residency programs. The MSM awards nine degrees: a Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Sciences (Ph.D.), Master of Public Health (M.P.H.), Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (MSPAS), Master of Science in Medical Sciences (MSMS), Master of Science in Biomedical Research (MSBR), Master of Science in Clinical Research (MSCR), Master of Science in Biomedical Technology (MSBT), and Master of Science in Neuroscience. The MSM also has seven residency programs: Family Medicine (1981), Preventive Medicine (1986), Internal Medicine (1991), Psychiatry (1991), Surgery (1993), Obstetrics and Gynecology (1997) and Pediatrics (2000).
Learn more about the Morehouse School of Medicine’s degree programs and offerings here.
The MSM seeks to produce and champion an interconnected community and system of service-oriented scholars who aim to change lives through education, service, patient care, and research.
Some notable alumni:
- Physician Regina Marcia Benjamin served as the 18th Surgeon General of the United States after being appointed by President Barack Obama. She was in the second graduating class of Morehouse School of Medicine.
- Anne Gaglioti is a practicing family physician, Associated Professor of Family Medicine and Strategic Advisor for Research at the National Center for Primary Care at MSM, and Associate Professor in the Center for Community Health Integration at Case Western Reserve University. She completed her Master of Science in Clinical Research at Morehouse School of Medicine.
- James D. Lock is a pediatric psychiatrist who graduated from Morehouse School of Medicine and is certified by the Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Based on program choice and enrollment status, student tuition and total cost of attendance may vary. Before the application of financial aid or assistance, total expenses for Master students can equal $50,000 and above, for Ph.D. students $60,000 and above, and for M.D. an estimated $80,000 and above.
For students who qualify for need-based grants and aids, the MSM grants aid depending on the extent of need. In addition, the Morehouse School of Medicine serves as an agent to assist students in obtaining loans and other forms of aid.
The Morehouse School of Medicine actively works to improve the health and well-being of individuals and communities, increase the diversity of the health professional and scientific workforce, and address primary health care through programs in service and education.
Learn more about the Morehouse School of Medicine here.
- Marcia: https://cfmedicine.nlm.nih.gov/physicians/biography_31.html
- Anne: https://case.edu/medicine/healthintegration/people/anne-gaglioti
- James: https://www.docspot.com/p/james-d-lock
- MSL Logo: https://www.kindpng.com/imgv/iTRbxx_msm-logo-morehouse-school-of-medicine-logo-hd/
- MSM Campus: https://hbcubuzz.com/2020/12/morehouse-school-of-medicine-partners-with-the-personalized-medicine-coalition/
- MSM Students: https://www.msm.edu/Administration/OIA/extraordinaryPhilanthropy/index.php